What is a health care proxy in Oklahoma?

Should you become incapacitated or are otherwise unable to make health care decisions for yourself, you will need someone to help you. On Oklahoma's Advance Directive for Health Care, there is a space where you can designate a health care proxy. According to the form, both your physician and another doctor will have to determine that you are no longer able to make decisions.

As the Oklahoma Bar Association points out, your proxy will be able to do the following in terms of health care directives

  •        Make decisions regarding your medical care
  •        Act in accordance with your wishes for the artificial administration of food and water
  •        Act in accordance with your wishes for life-sustaining treatment

Many people appoint a spouse or adult child as a health care proxy. Experts suggest that you put someone in that role whom you would trust to follow your wishes. It is also advisable to appoint an alternate proxy who can take over in the event that your first choice is unable or unwilling to do the job.

The advanced directive form you complete provides a living will portion in which you can outline items such as donating organs, end-of-life care and any other wishes you might have should these situations arise. While filling out such a form is not a requirement, it is recommended so you feel you have some control over situations in the future. Only people who are 18 years or older and are of sound mind can complete an Advanced Directive for Health Care. When you fill out the form, you will need to have it signed by two adult witnesses who cannot be people who would inherit your property should you pass away.

While this information may be useful, it should not be taken as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

3201 S. Berry Rd. Norman, OK 73072 Phone: 405-701-5355 Fax: 405-701-2830 Norman Law Office Map